Univ. of VT chooses AT&T pc's

Joe Carfagno joec at u1100a.UUCP
Wed Apr 24 23:53:45 AEST 1985

> > Burlington, Vermont; .... Incoming freshmen ...will be required to
> > purchase [AT&T 6300 PC] starting in the fall of 1985. Students will
> > be able to purchase their machines outright, or finance the cost over
> > their four years at the University. Maintenance is included in the
> > cost of the machines.
> What if they can't afford it?
> 	marie desjardins

Clarkson University, Potsdam NY, was one of the first schools to require
frosh to purchase PCs (Zenith 150s).  It cost the student $200 extra
per semester.  At the end of 4 years, an extra $200 bought the
machine outright.  Let's see, that's $1800 for a $4000 (at the time)
machine.  Even so, $400/yr is small relative to the $8-10K it costs
to go to that school (I graduated in 1979 when it was much cheaper,
only $7000).

Of course, Clarkson worked out a deal with the manufacturer, as 1000
PCs per semester might be needed.  There were some restrictions, like
agreeing not to resell the PC, but that doesn't merit discussion here.

Joe Carfagno
u1100a!joec      (if you can find u1100a, then you can send me nasty mail)