QUERY: Indexing macros for TROFF ??

lrr at siemens.UUCP lrr at siemens.UUCP
Tue Apr 16 00:54:00 AEST 1985

I have done this for a book I've worked on.  The book has 9 chapters and an
index built from those chapter. In brief, I used the .tm troff request and
then saved and post-processed the output of each chapter.  When I print
the index, I fetch the indexes from each chapter and then combine them with
an awk script so that I can merge adjacent references (i.e., the reference
vi on pages 12,13,14,15,18 would print out as vi  12-15,18).  It takes
some shell scripts and some other coordination.  It's not terribly general
but could be made so. If you are interested, I'll mail to anyone.

Larry Rogers
Siemens Research and Technology Laboratories
105 College Road East
Princeton, NJ 08540
609 734 6559