Shared Memory

Dave Cohrs dave at uwvax.UUCP
Fri Apr 5 00:17:44 AEST 1985

> 	How do you pass a key from one process to
> another process so that both processes have acess to the
> same "shmid"?
> 	In other words how do you insure that each
> process has the same shared memory id?

I have implemented the SysV shared memory (well, not very well, but it
works like the man pages describe) under 4.2BSD.  In one application,
we open up a server socket and the process with wants the same shmid
connects to this and gets it.  If you don't have these neat 4.2 functions,
I'd suggest sending the shmid through a pipe to the other process or,
if they aren't parent and child, make a famous file and put it there.

dave
--
dave cohrs
...!{allegra,harvard,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!dave
dave at wisc-limburger.arpa

    (bug?  what bug?  that's a feature!)