Geostationary satelite reception of Netnews

Joseph R. Mann joe at loonam.UUCP
Thu Apr 4 08:18:25 AEST 1985

Greetings video buffs, I have recently installed a home  satelite
receiver,  and am over the initial shock of the awesome amount of
signals that can be received.

Using a Kenwood R-1000 I am able to recieve many  data  channels,
phone   conversations  and  fax  signals,  but  the  signal  that
interests me the most is netnews.

I understand that  netnews  is  on  the  VBI  (vertical  blanking
interval)  of  WTBS  on  Galaxy 1, channel 18. The book "Tune The
Hidden  Signals  on  Satelite  TV"  (available   from   Universal
Electronics,  4555  Groves  Rd.  Suite 3, Columbus, OH 43232 614-
866-4605) touches on teletext, and VBI information.

If anyone has experience in receiving ascii data over a  satelite
antenna  or any articles about non-video signals available on any
satelites, please let me know.

 Thanks in advance, Joe.

    ihnp4!umn-cs!{digi-g,circadia}!loonam!joe