Not checking printf's result causes another news bug

Barry Shein root at bu-cs.UUCP
Sat Aug 24 16:44:25 AEST 1985

>Re: use SIGUSER, use SSIGNAL (actually don't), use vprintf (tho you
>probably don't have it.) [followup by Guy Harris]

Ok, maybe it's just late and I'm grumpy, but aren't we being a little
distracting here? The point was a much broader one about introducing
an interrupt mechanism for alerting a program to I/O errors, something
distinctly not in UNIX, likely by choice as the designers were well
aware of the IBM SYNAD handling. I wonder if FSIGEOF and FSIGERR should
be added to fcntl.h alongside FASYNC to handle these situations, especially
where a large piece of software (as noted in the article, most programs
that use printf) is suddenly discovered to be deficient in write error
handling.

I dunno, so much of this stuff seems to reduce to 'you forgot a semi-colon'
and the point gets lost, even though I am sure what you said was true.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University