Setting TERM

W. H. Pollock x4575 3S235 whp at cbnap.UUCP
Sat Aug 31 04:09:24 AEST 1985

No, Please don't re-invent this square wheel!  This "feature" of BSD unix
is not a good idea for several reasons.  The strongest being that in many
environments today, the terminals are connected through some sort of network
and it is not possible to know what kind of tty is connected through any
port.  Using ansi standard terminals, it is possible to dynamically determine
the terminal type (we use this, albeit with mixed success since many terminals
are not ansi standard yet).
'
Just my opinion, (I know many sites without networks use this, don't flame me)
Wayne Pollock