Bitnet gateway software?

David Canzi dmcanzi at watdcsu.UUCP
Sat Aug 17 02:59:56 AEST 1985

We have here a package called UREP (Unix RSCS Emulation Program, where
RSCS is the IBM program that BITNET uses for transferring files from
machine to machine.)  It comes from Pennsylvania State University.
I've sent email to PSU, both via USENET and via BITNET, asking if they
had a more recent version, and if this more recent version corrected
several shortcomings that I pointed out.

I've never received any response from PSU.  My supervisor also tried,
and also failed.  I've heard (indirectly) of another site where they
had the same problem, ie. no response from PSU.  If anybody has ever
gotten any response from them, I would sure like to know.

My guess is that the authors of UREP are no longer at PSU and that
nobody at PSU wants to maintain UREP.  Having had a good look at the
source code, I can't say I really blame them.

My opinion is that the market is wide open for anybody who might want
to write a replacement for UREP.  Furthermore, since IBM is planning
to change the protocol that RSCS uses for communication over bisync
lines (and a manual describing the protocol is available), it will
*have* to be done anyway.

--
David Canzi

Ultimate tabloid headline: "Crazed by UFO radiation, pregnant man bites dog."