Bitnet gateway software?

Daemon dae at psuvax1.UUCP
Wed Aug 21 22:59:37 AEST 1985

In article <106 at pyrnj.uucp> romain at pyrnj.uucp (Romain Kang) writes:
>In article <1613 at watdcsu.UUCP>, dmcanzi at watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) writes:
>> My guess is that the authors of UREP are no longer at PSU and that
>> nobody at PSU wants to maintain UREP.
>
>I've heard rumors that the author of UREP, Robert M. Owens,
>left PSU some time back and is now somewhere at the University of
>Maryland.

Dr. Owens *was* on a one-year leave at Maryland.  He has been back for
more than a month.  You're half right.

>I also know someone who talked to Dave Eckhart at Penn State
>last spring; he reports that PSU is moving towards Ethernet.  The
>implication was that they would cease using UREP.

Sombody's confused here.  We now have (and will very soon offer) a UREP
link driver that works over an ethernet (more generally, udp/ip).  This
is how node psuvaxs is on bitnet.  Instead of moving away from UREP,
many people are much more interested in it with this capability.
Again, I see the grain of truth there, but your conclusion is
diametrically opposed to reality.

>In the way of Ethernet, Spartacus (1-800-LAN-KNET) claims to be
>able to provide all the functionality necessary to get you between
>Unix and VM.  I guess you would still need your VM to talk to BITNET.

I have no information on their product and I can't even speculate on
relative merits or prices without turning this into an advertisement.
Has anybody out there had experience with Spartacus they'd like to make
public?

--Daemon (Dave Eckhardt @ Penn State)