Alternate Shells

Snoopy seifert at hammer.UUCP
Mon Aug 19 03:13:29 AEST 1985

In article <615 at ucsfcgl.UUCP> arnold at ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold) writes:

>I helped make this decision -- it was because people who left their
>terminals unattended for a few minutes (to relieve themselves, say)
>would find themselves with a strange shell the next time they logged
>on.

A rather poor reason to limit the usefulness of chsh.  Haven't you
heard about "block" (also known as "lock", etc.) a program which requires
you to type in your password before letting you do anything?
(without having to go through all the grief of logging out and back
in again)

Bozo-proofing chsh does nothing about all the other interesting
things that can happen to your account if you leave your terminal
unlocked.

Snoopy
tektronix!hammer!seifert

These opinions should be considered mine, not those of Tektronix.
In this case they do appear to agree, since Utek's chsh isn't fascist.