file archiving

Barry Shein root at bu-cs.UUCP
Sat Aug 17 12:07:53 AEST 1985

The find command seemed like a good start for file archiving, while
we're simulating TOPS-20 with a few shell commands why not go a little
farther...either replace the file's contents with the tapeid or (if
you're worried about inodes) append a line 'filename tapeid' to a user's
$HOME/.archive file? Sure would make it easier to get it back when they
panic about it being gone. Also, would let them know what happened.

Of course, mine would be:

	% cat .archive
	.archive	TAPE00777
	% :-)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

P.S. as I remember TOPS could generate a tape mount request to the
operator automatically upon an open of an archived file, maybe we should
make a symbolic link to the tape and then...oh this is getting weird, sorry.