Ultrix 1.1 upgrade Woes

Clifford Spencer cspencer at bbncc5.UUCP
Fri Aug 30 08:00:13 AEST 1985

> This message may seem a bit harsh, and for that I am sorry.  I am paying a
> lot for support and I don't seem to be getting it when I really need it.
> So in that regard this message is a flame.
>
> On the non-flame side, though I am putting out a warning to other sites about
> to move from 1.0 -> 1.1.  Also I'd be interested hearing experiences from
> other sites who have already done the upgrade.  Did you experience any of the
> same problems we did?

As of late, I have found the feedback from the ULTRIX Colorado Customer
Support Center to be top notch. We have had a few weird problems with
our vaxes recently, and I have really felt that the person on the other side
knew what was going on, both with vax internals, and with ULTRIX. I can't
fully comment on the 1.1 upgrade script, since we had a pre-release. Ours
actually did save a version of every replaced file called "name".bak or,
if one elected to not overwrite the old version, "name".new. I found this
to be a pain in the neck.
								-cliff