EX/ NCR TOWER

Robert L. Fair cim2 at pyuxv.UUCP
Fri Aug 23 00:51:11 AEST 1985

>I have an application which needs to run an editor script with ex (sed
>and ed will not do).  Even though my environment is properly set with
>TERM and TERMCAP, when I type "ex < file", the editor does not seem to
>know my terminal type.  On the VAX (4.2) this is not so bad, but on an
>NCR Tower ex refused to do any editing without a cursor addressable
>terminal.  Depending upon specifics, I got messages like:
>    Terminal must have UP capability to use open/visual mode
>(even thought the only command in the file was "set"), or
>    Unknown terminal type "dumb"
>
>Is anyone familiar with this problem?  Is there a workaround?
>By the way, does the Tower have a Unisoft port?
>	Thanks in advance,

The answer is yes, ( I think )  NCR UNIX release 1 was indeed
UNISOFT based, and had a number of funnies like the ex problem
above.

To fix these problems ( & others...) NCR did their own
in-house port for their UNIX Release 2 (Out Spring 1985)

Its based on the AT&T System-V VAX tape with lots
of Berserkely goodies, plus things like ***full*** power fail
recovery, file locking,  and a really neat distributed
kernel. In fact its one of the nicest UNIX implementations I've
ever used, especially with the hardware support on the TOWER-XP.

So, try upgrading from Release-1 if you havn't done so already.
Otherwise, try talking to NCR direct - I've found them to be
pretty helpful in getting fixes.

Rob. Fair.
Bellcore, Piscataway.

{bambi | gamma }!pyuxv!cim2

## To boldly wibble where no fair has wibbled before

/*
 *	These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those
 *	of:
 *	BELL COMMUNICATIONS RESEARCH,
 *      COMPUTER HORIZONS CORPERATION,
 */