How to save core images ???

Raymond D. Dunn ray at othervax.UUCP
Sat Aug 10 04:10:54 AEST 1985

In article <39300040 at uiucdcs> stevens at uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA writes:

>Does anyone have a method for writing out a core image of an executing
>job running under BSD 4.2 and later restoring the job to the state of
>execution prior to the save ?

Very interesting that this hasn't come up before (or has it?).  It has
always amazed me that this is not a standard feature of all operating
systems, and I have had to implement various kludges over the years to
enable checkpoint/restart capabilities.

Please respond practically to the above request, but I would also like
to see a philosophical discussion on the subject either here, with reference
to UNIX, or elsewhere, in more general terms.

Ray Dunn   ..philabs!micomvax!othervax!ray
"Excuse me, is this the room for an argument?"
"I've told you once!"