using libraries with ld(1)

Lester Buck buck at shell.UUCP
Sat Aug 3 05:38:23 AEST 1985

I have a private library of C routines which I want to link into various
programs.  The loader ld(1) *insists* on searching only /lib/lib*.a,
/usr/lib/lib*.a, /usr/local/lib/lib*.a  and then gives up.

Ok, what am I missing?  Our local superuser generated a link from
/usr/local/lib/... to the private library I want to search, but
he couldn't see any other way short of hacking ld(1).
Does your garden variety system allow users to write into
/usr/local/lib, or are ordinary mortals not supposed to develop programs?
Is there some kind of user-mode loader out there somewhere?

A. Lester Buck @ Shell Development Co.
{ihnp4, pur-ee, ut-sally}!shell!buck