Limiting logons to licensed number: how?

Peter DaSilva peter at kitty.UUCP
Sat Aug 10 03:17:21 AEST 1985

> the current single-user price (very cheap) and the "mainframe" price ($7000

It's not quite cheap enough to compete, unfortunately. $150 is about the most
you can expect to sell an O/S for a small computer for & get away with it. At
that price unbundling would make sense. Unbundling at 3to10 times that price is
self-defeating.

> I think.)  The result would be a bargain for big mainframes, at the
> expense of higher prices for the "little guy".  You might feel better
> to view the user-pricing as a small machine discount.  Historically,
> I believe that was how it was derived.

Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way.