EX/ NCR TOWER

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.UUCP
Fri Aug 30 06:20:30 AEST 1985

>> >By the way, does the Tower have a Unisoft port?
>> >	Thanks in advance,
>>
>>The answer is yes, ( I think )  NCR UNIX release 1 was indeed
>>UNISOFT based, and had a number of funnies like the ex problem
>>above.
>>
>>To fix these problems ( & others...) NCR did their own
>>in-house port for their UNIX Release 2 (Out Spring 1985)

I missed some of the earlier discussion, so this may be out of context, but....

Unix release 1 for the Tower was definitely a very early Uniplus+; it was an
extension of version 7 with Berkeley enhancements. I was actually quite pleased
with it; it was exceptionally stable compared to other Unix systems I'd worked
with at the time.

Unix release 2 was done by Human Computing Resources of Toronto, Ontario. This
was allegedly Unix System V, and was developed primarily for the Tower XP. I
haven't worked enough with it to comment.

I believe that the only Unix software development done at NCR Columbia (where
the Tower is made) is NCR's System Administrator menu package. NCR San Diego
was working on their own System V port, but that was for the 9300/9400 series
of minicomputers. That whole idea got trashed because corporate management
didn't want the 9300/9400 to compete against Columbia's Tower XP and 68020
products.

ncr-sd, are you guys listening? I want to make sure I'm not talking through
my hat....
--
      -m-------     Carl S. Gutekunst, Software R&D, Pyramid Technology
    ---mmm-----     P.O. Box 7295, Mountain View, CA 94039   415/965-7200