use of _s[io]buf in stdio library

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Thu Aug 15 13:20:53 AEST 1985

>> I have thought about using them in my own programs...

>Don't!!  They are a detail of the implementation of stdio, and are *not*
>guaranteed to be present in all implementations.

In fact, they are *gone* in Sun Unix (1.3? something like that).  Quite
a surprise, actually.  They're also no longer used in 4.3BSD (I think)
but are still in the C library (so those of you who have [mis]used them
won't notice).
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland