How to save core images ???

preece at ccvaxa.UUCP preece at ccvaxa.UUCP
Tue Aug 20 05:58:00 AEST 1985

> There have been numerous attempts to checkpoint UNIX processes from
> user mode, but to do it right you would need the help of the kernel
> (since the code being checkpointed is still undergoing modification
> during the checkpoint process, otherwise).

> Apart from saving a bit of work in initializing large amounts of data,
> why do you feel this feature is necessary?  /* Written  4:11 am  Aug
> 10, 1985 by gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn in ccvaxa:net.unix */
----------
Sounds like enough reason in itself.  Sometimes we're talking about
LARGE amounts of data.  The ability to start in the middle when
doing something like starting nroff with a common macro set or
starting Lisp after it has loaded all the stuff it does as start
up, or starting a complex, extensible editor after it has already
extended itself, would be very useful (I gather GNU emacs does just
that).

--
scott preece
gould/csd - urbana