Shells, features and interaction

Dave Curry davy at pur-ee.UUCP
Thu Dec 12 22:52:14 AEST 1985

In article <897 at nmtvax.UUCP> maurice at nmtvax.UUCP (Roger M. Levasseur) writes:
>  You must be forgetting about overlays then. As it is right now, csh
>*needs* the use of overlays (the 2.9bsd  version) to run. From doing
>a check on it, a size yields this:

This is a lie.  2.9BSD csh may need overlays, but we've got two versions
running on our Version 7 PDP-11's with no overlays.  Observe:

	41024+1104+1498 = 43626b = 0125152b

	49792+7310+3296 = 60398b = 0165756b

The first is a not very complete version, the second contains everything
except job control.  Believe it or not overlays aren't a necessity in
this world (although they do make things convenient, they make them slow
too).

>Looks like less than 64? You still need to put the stack in there as well,
>and that gets the last 8k segment of 64k (depends on the pdp type, this
>is from a nonseperate i/d pdp 23+).

Yup, looks like less than 64k to me.  This is a split i/d 11/70.

--Dave Curry