Network differences

Eric Myers myers at bnl.UUCP
Sat Dec 7 05:50:01 AEST 1985

> In article <560 at brl-sem.ARPA> ron at brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
>> BITNET:  BITNET is to the IBM world what UUCP is to the UNIX world.

This is not an accurate characterization.  There are all sorts of
machines on Bitnet, running VM/CMS, MVS, and UNIX.  I'm on a Unix
machine right now.  What is true is that the protocols for Bitnet
(RSCS) were designed by IBM, and Bitnet originally consisted of
just IBM machines.  I think that most of the machines on that net
are still IBM.

The best description of Bitnet is that it is a network of University
and Research lab computers linked together using the RSCS protocols.
--
Eric Myers,  Physics Dept., Brookhaven National Laboratory, Lon Guyland, NY
             myers at bnl.arpa / myers at bnl.bitnet / ...philabs!sbcs!bnl!myers

"And so we're told this is the Golden Age...
       Gold is the reason for the wars we wage."