tee command without buffering

Charlie Mills charliem at athena.UUCP
Wed Dec 11 03:28:46 AEST 1985

>Has anyone got a version of the tee command that doesn't buffer the I/O?

The standard solution under 4.2BSD is to use tail -f on the output
file.  (Don't use tee.)  Tail -f doesn't buffer its output between
sleeps.  You can kill or suspend the tail without disturbing the
process generating the data.  I don't know whether System V has tail or
if so whether there is a -f option or something analogous.

	-- Charlie Mills
..{ucbvax,decvax,uw-beaver,hplabs,ihnp4,allegra}!tektronix!athena!charliem