Non-ATT 'crypt(3)'

David Morton dave at ecrcvax.UUCP
Sun Dec 22 23:41:50 AEST 1985

In article <uel.522> alex at uel (Alex Osadzinski ) writes:
>Seriously, this business of removing the decryption code from international
>versions of UNIX Systems is a pain in the rectum for everybody.

I know of at least two companies in Germany who shipped this
code before the State Dept decided it was "a breach of national security"
or whatever the reason was for the decision. One of these companies was
obviously unaware at that time of the breach and promptly "upgraded"
customers to a version without the 'crypt' as soon as it was generally
known.  Note these were not necessarily both German companies.
One in fact had to stop shipping, according to my sources.

Someone should tell the State Dept. that the stable door has been open
for the past 8 years at least and closing it now only makes them look
more stupid than they already are.
--

Dave Morton
Tel. + (49) 89 - 92699 - 139