Communication between UNIX and IBM System 38?

David Sherman dave at lsuc.UUCP
Thu Dec 5 06:50:32 AEST 1985

The Law Society's central members' records system is being
replaced (it's presently an ICL ME29), and they're looking
at an IBM System 38.  The question has arisen as to whether
and how it can communicate with this machine, the Education
Department's computer, a Perkin-Elmer 3220 running v7 UNIX.
In their proposal, IBM didn't address the issue of communication
to this machine (they seem to believe there's nothing outside
the IBM world).

We've identified that a user with an IBM PC can use both machines,
by switching between System 38 communications software and conventional
ASCII communications software (Crosstalk or whatever) and changing
physical connections.  Now we need to figure out the extent to
which the machines can communicate directly.

>From my understanding, we'd like to have:
	1. a "cu" equivalent for someone on UNIX to call out and
	   get interactive access to the System 38;
	2. a "cu" equivalent for someone on the System 38 to
	   get interactive access to the UNIX system;
	3. some file transfer capability, including sending
	   plain ASCII files from UNIX to the S/38 and sending
	   Displaywrite-coded word processing files from the S/38
	   to UNIX.

Has anyone worked on this problem before?

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Osgoode Hall
Toronto, Canada  M5H 2N6
(416) 947-3466
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave