B-trees

Darin Adler darin at ut-dillo.UUCP
Fri Dec 6 05:03:46 AEST 1985

I have always (since I have been aware of, and used the B-tree data
structure) thought of binary trees as being a degenerate case of a
B-tree.  In other words, where B-trees have between n and 2n children
per node, a binary tree has between 1 and 2 children per node (n=1).
Unfortunately, the algorithms for B-trees do not work in this
degenerate case (thus binary trees cannot be balanced in the simple
way that B-trees are).  I am sure that there is something else
fundamentally wrong with this analogy.  Any data structures expert
want to comment and/or enlighten me?
--
Darin Adler
{gatech,harvard,ihnp4,seismo}!ut-sally!ut-dillo!darin