UNIX vs. VMS speed

Randy Buckland rcb at rti-sel.UUCP
Sat Jan 5 01:20:55 AEST 1985

> I realize that this is an involved question, and that there are
> lots of other arguments in favor of UNIX.  This is being done for
> a friend whose site is stuck with VMS.

	Then this question is not going to help your friend. I don't have
any exact figures, but from just general experience on a 750 running
BSD 4.2 and a 750 running VMS, the VMS machine is significantly faster.
I would guess that it is about 1.4 to 1.8 times faster in general execution
speed. This is probably attributable to the faster file system and I/O system.

					Randy Buckland
					Research Triangle Institute
					...!mcnc!rti-sel!rcb