UNIX for the PC,AT -- Venix

peterb at pbear.UUCP peterb at pbear.UUCP
Fri Jan 25 20:53:56 AEST 1985

	In order to get connect to work on a friend PC/IX system,
we found that the rs-232 link does not assert DTR when  the  port
opens, and that the smart modems (such as hayes, etc) need DTR to
operate  properly.   We did find that hacking a cable with DTR on
the modem connected to RTS on the port worked quite nicely.  This
also raises DTR when the port is enabled, so in the herald we set
up a command that resets the modem so normal  converstions  work.
UUCP  and connect work quite well in either direction.  For those
with one  port  for  both  directions,  I  remember  seeing  some
net.sources  to etc/dial that asserts directionality on the port.
All in all, he is quite pleased with his system, and likes INed a
lot.  It can really make  for  some  powerful  edits.

						ima!pbear!peterb