Does anyone know of a HELP system for UNIX?

Nick Maclaren nmm%cl.cam at ucl-cs.arpa
Fri Jan 25 09:03:00 AEST 1985

Does anyone know of a HELP system for UNIX?

Is there a a decent, extensive (and preferably maintained) HELP system
for UNIX around?  This should be keyword driven, if possible, but a
well-written menu one would do.  It is the database that is wanted, as
the program is a negligible part of the system.

We are interested in a HELP system to enable an 'ordinary' user (who has
no interest in computing for its own sake) to use UNIX after a few hours
instruction, without having to call for help or search through the
manual every few minutes.  This would enable one UNIX guru to stay
half-sane while advising hundreds of users.

For example, "help deleting files" should say that the "rm" command can
be used, but may cross-reference other information.  "help segmentation
error" should describe what that message actually means, and what
programming errors normally cause it.  "help how do I create a file"
should describe how files are created, and not that the "how" command
does not exist.

A good HELP system will also include examples of how to use commands,
warnings of common problems, and so on.  It will not always type these,
but will prompt the user in terms like: "Would you like more
information?  The subjects available are:".  The fundamental nature of a
HELP system is that it attempts to describe things in the user's terms.

We have such a HELP database for our fairly user-friendly system built
on top of IBM MVS (sic); I estimate that the database took us about 10
man-years to write and is cheap at the price.  It is very doubtful that
we could repeat this effort for UNIX, or could afford to support UNIX
(for a potential 500 users per computing service adviser) without this.

If anyone is thinking along the lines of "man -k", "learn", anything
involving "grep" or an online version of "XYZ's noddy guide to UNIX",
please can they not reply to this question.  These are not relevant to
the requirement I am talking about.

Please reply to:
    nmm%uk.ac.cam.cl at ucl-cs.arpa
or:
    nmm1%uk.ac.cam.phx%uk.ac.cam-icf at ucl-cs.arpa

Nick Maclaren
University of Cambridge Computing Service