Problems with "ct" command usage - HELP !!!

Michael Brochstein mab at hou4a.UUCP
Thu Jan 3 02:43:08 AEST 1985

I am on a VAX 11/780 running System 5.2 and am trying to get the system
to "ct" to my terminal at home (when I am at home).  I have no trouble
with the ct interface and soon after I issue to command the system hangs
up on me and dials my home phone.  My Hayes Smartmodem 1200 answers and
a "CONNECT" signal is soon sent to my terminal (a Volker-Craig 4404 which
emulates an ADM 3A).  The problem is that after a few junk characters appear
on my terminal, the terminal locks up and I must cycle the power off and on
to get it to do anything.  By this point I get a NO CARRIER signal...

My questions are;

	1. What is wrong ? (obvious question I know)
	2. I now use a 25 conductor straight cable (rs-232) between my
terminal and modem, is this okay or do I need a null modem cable ?
	3. Does the Hayes think my terminal is a computer since it is
answering the phone and therefore do I need a null modem cable to fool it
or something ?
	4. If I need a null modem cable, is it just pins 2 and 3 that must
be swapped ?

		Michael Brochstein
		ihnp4!hou4a!mab
		(201) 834-3482 - office