11/730

notes at ucf-cs.UUCP notes at ucf-cs.UUCP
Thu Jan 10 14:10:19 AEST 1985

Bringing up Unix on a 730 is no problem with the Berkeley distribution.  The
distribution kit for 4.2bsd includes a bootstrap TU58 that simplifies the job
considerably, but it was still relatively easy to install 4.1bsd, which
required that the bootstrap be toggled in through the console.  I installed
both Berkeley systems on our 730 (which is currently running VMS, alas), and
encountered no great problems.  Our configuration is R80/RL02 with 2 Meg of
memory and a TS11 tape drive.

I don't know anything about Ultrix installation on a 730, so I'll let
someone else comment on that.

You will find that 4.2 (and I suppose Ultrix) runs rather slowly on a 730.

I'll be glad to answer any other questions.

					Ben Goldfarb
					University of Central Florida
					{duke,decvax}!ucf-cs!goldfarb