help with readlink

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Tue Jan 29 09:40:42 AEST 1985

> Could someone fill me in as to what the readlink routine does?
> And possibly pointers to replacing it with something available on SysIII.

It reads symbolic links.  Symbolic links aren't available on (vanilla)
System III, so it can't be replaced.  Either the program you're working
on only works on systems with symbolic links, in which case you're out
of luck, or it does something like "stat"ing a file and if the file is
of type S_IFLNK does a "readlink" on it, in which case you can rip that
code out because 1) it won't compile on S3 because S_IFLNK isn't defined
and 2) that code won't get executed anyway because there won't *be* any
inodes of type S_IFLNK.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy