Speed of read vs. fread

Spencer W. Thomas thomas at utah-gr.UUCP
Thu Jan 24 02:42:42 AEST 1985

In article <1350 at hao.UUCP> pag at hao.UUCP (Peter Gross) writes:
>  Profiling showed it spent a great deal of
>time in fread()/fwrite().  We checked the code, and lo and behold, fread/fwrite
>do single getc/putc's in a loop.  Converting to read/write made the program
>run about 3 times faster.

This has been fixed! This has been fixed!  This has been fixed!  This
has been fixed!  This has been fixed!  This has been fixed!

Contact your best friend at Berkeley and see if you can get the fix.  As
described by Sam Leffler at the Salt Lake Usenix, almost all the
places where System V (and others) was more efficient than 4.2 have been
fixed (and most of these fixes were pretty trivial).  See my note for
some speed comparisons.

--
=Spencer
	({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas at utah-cs.ARPA)