UNIX for the IBM PC and PC/AT

Tom Haapanen [DCS] haapanen at watdcsu.UUCP
Sat Jan 12 07:57:53 AEST 1985

< Nami nami nami nami nami ... >

I'm in the process of selecting up a multiuser system for a small
(medium?)-sized company.  Their budget is limited, so I'm restricted
to micros (and networks are out, too).  The company is in Europe, so I
will need to stay away from esoteric hardware (alas, at the cost of
some performance) and IBM service is excellent even over there.
Hence, I'm looking at an IBM PC (likely an AT) system running three
users with UNIX of some sort, or a UNIX look-alike.

What I'd like to hear from all the net.people out there is any
experiences with UNIX for the IBM-type machines.  I've heard of VENIX,
XENIX, PC/IX, Coherent and Unisoft, but I have not talked to anybody
who has actually used these.  If you have, could you answer any or all
of the following questions:
	- How is it performance-wise?
	- What size of a hard disk and memory is required?
	- Is there any facility to run PC-DOS programs?
	- Does it run on a PC AT?
	- Are you happy with it?
	- Who was the vendor, and were you happy with him?
I would also like to have any impressions of the PC/IX editor.

Please reply by mail; if requested, I'll post a summary to the net.
Thanks very much.

tom haapanen		university of waterloo		(519) 744-2468

allegra \
clyde \  \
decvax ---- watmath --- watdcsu --- haapanen
ihnp4 /  /
linus  /		The opinions herein are not those of my employers,
			of the University of Waterloo, and probably not of
			anybody else either.