info on array processors wanted

Bruce Young young at AMES-NAS.ARPA
Fri Jan 18 02:56:20 AEST 1985

Developing array processors: CRAY 2

AMES will have (late FY85) a CRAY X-MP 1/2 running under UNIX.
However, do not expect a commercial version of UNIX for CRAY
until FY86.

Using SLAM from P&A, we benchmarked two VAX 11/780's under UNIX
a CRAY X-MP 2/2 and a CRAY X-MP 1/2 both running COS. The CRAYs
demonstrated wall time improvements about 50 to 1. Thus a model
running 4 hours on VAX loaded to factor 5.0 (using ruptime)
will run on a CRAY in approximately 5 minutes. One disclaimer
is any comparison of VAX to CRAY is full of assumptions about
load averages, operating systems, configurations, yet we are
pleased with the CRAY performance.

Bruce
young at AMES-NAS.ARPA