Unix for the PC,AT --- abstract

Tom Haapanen [DCS] haapanen at watdcsu.UUCP
Sun Jan 20 04:14:50 AEST 1985

< Nami nami nami nami ... >

The following is a brief summary of the replies I received to my query
about IBM PCs and PC/ATs running UNIX(tm Bell Labs).  The next article
contains the text of the replies (loooong!).  Thanks to everybody who
contributed and sent me information!

PC XT:	Venix 	- faster than Xenix
	Xenix	- mostly compatible with the AT Xenix
	PC/IX	- single-user only
	Coherent- v7-like, but not licensed UNIX, seems fast
	Unetix	- single-user but with windows and tty ports

PC AT:	Xenix	- full 286 implementation.
		- can run three applications users
	[all other UNIXes on the AT run in the 8086 mode, emulating
	 the PC/XT]

The general agreement was that INed (the PC/IX editor) is a piece of
garbage, unsuitable for programming.

Practically all of the abover versions need (for useability) 512K RAM
and a 10M hard disk.  Unetix can run from floppies, though.

Thanks very much all!

				\tom haapanen
				watmath!watdcsu!haapanen