Full text of YASC (actually a n/troff question)

Ted Nolan ted at usceast.UUCP
Fri Jan 18 15:13:09 AEST 1985

In article <409 at mcvax.UUCP> jaap at mcvax.UUCP (Jaap Akkerhuis) writes:
>In article <199 at usl.UUCP> sigma at usl.UUCP (Spyridon Triantafyllopoulos) writes:
>	>How do you change the line length
>	>in the macro package "-ms" ? I tried
>	>the .nr LL 7.5 or others, and it
>	>would not work.
>	>P.S Enter it to the stupid question
>	>of the year award, but our local nroff
>	>and macro guru is on vacation...
>
>Looks like a nice entry. Why don't you read the manual? Although it
>might look a bit obscure in the N/Troff manual, you would have found
>out that the .nr request will take default values as units.
>Guessing that you want to change the line length to 7.5 Pica's,
>you should have said:
>	.nr LL 7.5P

This isn't quite fair, the documentation for nroff and -ms is spread out
in too many places and is not generally kept online under the man command
anyway (except for ms(7) and nroff(1) (which may fall under roff(1) in v7)
and are not too helpful)

I think probably what is needed is to set the line length to 7.5 inches
	.nr LL 7.5i
should do this, but my documentation warns that it will not take effect until
the next paragraph, if you need it right away, you should follow the above by
	.ll 7.5i

I think this will work.

				Ted Nolan	..usceast!ted
Ted Nolan                               ...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!ncrcae!usceast!ted
6536 Brookside Circle                   ...akgua!usceast!ted
Columbia, SC 29206
      ("Deep space is my dwelling place, the stars my destination")