How can I find where a link leads to ???

Roy Smith roy at phri.UUCP
Tue Jan 15 01:59:49 AEST 1985

> ls -i filename
> gives you the inode number; otherwise the question has no meaning.
> All links have the same status; there is no place in the
> hierarchical file system where the file "really" is.

The above was posted as an answer to the question "how can I find out where
a link leads to?".  While the answer is technically correct, give the guy
who asked the question a break, huh?  Assuming the original question should
really have been "how can I find all the other directory entries which point
to the same inode as file X?", you can take the inode number given to you by
"ls -i" and find out ALL the files that have that inode number by doing
"ncheck -i ZZZ /dev/rra0h", assuming that ZZZ is the inode number and your
file system is mounted on /dev/ra0h (the extra 'r' in 'rra0h' says use
the raw device -- it's a bit faster, that's all).  Note, you probably won't
be able to run ncheck unless you are the super-user.  Hope that helps.
--
Don't blame me, I just work here....

{allegra,seismo,ihnp4}!vax135!timeinc\
                 cmcl2!rocky2!cubsvax >!phri!roy  (Roy Smith)
                      philabs!cubsvax/