Xinu anyone?

Kurt H. Haserodt kurt at wucs.UUCP
Wed Jul 31 14:05:40 AEST 1985

Regarding Xinu Jim Scardelis writes:

>	You don't need an AT&T license...there is NO Unix code involved.
>The source code is available from Prentice-Hall, Inc. on a 9 track tar
>format tape.
>
>	When I get to my office tomorrow, I'll look up the ISBN number
>on my tape. Of course, the source code is also in the book:
>
>	"Operating System Design - the XINU Approach"
>	by Douglas Comer
>	Published by Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
>	ISBN 0-13-637539-1
>
>(my wife works for Prentice-Hall).
>--

We were asked for a copy of our Unix License when we ordered the tape from
PH.  At that time the tape cost $65.  It contains the full Xinu source,
as seen in the above referenced book, but it also contains source for an
lsi11 assembler and a C compiler.  The compiler looks a good bit like the V7
PDP11 C compiler (i.e. not like the portable C compiler), so I would think
that a license would be required.  I believe we only had to show that we had
a V7 license.

PH might now have a Xinu-only tape without the development tools for which they
do not require a license, but, in the past, they did have the tape we ordered
from them, and they did require proof of a Unix license.
--

Kurt Haserodt				..!ihnp4!wucs!kurt
Box 1045 Washington University		(314)-889-6160