Is there a UNIX SVR2 random/srandom equivalent? (manuals)

G A Moffett gam at amdahl.UUCP
Wed Jul 10 16:52:55 AEST 1985

In article <2399 at sun.uucp> guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) writes:
>> > Does anyone know what I should use in place of random and srandom?
>>
>> Lesson # 3.  Using the manual:
>
>Using the System V manual isn't sufficient; you need the 4.2BSD manual to
>tell you what "random" does in the first place.  The guy may not have a
>4.2BSD manual, in which case telling him to "use the manual" doesn't help
>much.
>
>	Guy Harris

Guy raises an important point:

If you are going to be working around Unix for a while it is a good
idea to have available to you manuals of the various versions,
especially SVR2, 4.[12] BSD, and Version 7.  As in this example there
are compatible routines with different names, and it just takes a
bit of effort to figure these things out.

If you don't already have these references available to you, it is
*well worth* the investment to have them.  Ecclectic knowledge
of Unix (of anything?) is a good thing.
--
Gordon A. Moffett               ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,sun}!amdahl!gam