Make and libraries

fnf at unisoft.UUCP fnf at unisoft.UUCP
Tue Jul 30 15:42:37 AEST 1985

In article <5404 at fortune.UUCP> olson at fortune.UUCP (Dave olson) writes:

>There are many ways to try and solve the above problem, but none of
>the ones I was able to find were as RELIABLE as the built-in rule,
>although most of them were somewhat faster... (as you pointed out).
			    ^^^^^^^^

I agree, if you expect to be making changes that will force recompilation
of the entire library, and the recompilation time is significant, then
the built in rule is best.  However, on our vax 750 the difference in
time for rebuilding libc.a (in a 68000 cross environment) went from
over 12 hours, with the built in rule, to under an hour with the
method I posted previously.  This is more than just *somewhat* faster!