inconsistency on read/execute permissions for shell procedures

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Thu Jul 11 11:37:49 AEST 1985

> On BSD systems, the kernel can understand that a file is a shell file
> and start a shell to interpret it.  It seems that the shell must me able
> to read the file to be able to execute it.  I really do not understand why
> this is so, since a simple solution would be to have the kernel hand the
> shell the file on standard input if --x access is permitted.

Unfortunately, this would mean that a shell script couldn't act as a filter;
one of the major improvements that the Bourne shell offered over the V6
shell was that it didn't redirect the standard input of all the programs run
in a shell script to the script, so that you could run a script as a filter.

	Guy Harris