Orphaned Response

rjn rjn at hpfcla.UUCP
Sun Jul 21 17:55:00 AEST 1985

re: comments (#) in interactive mode....

* If your console is a printing  terminal, having a quick way to type comment
  lines makes it easy for operators to annotate what they have done.

  # the reason I just did 'rm -r /*' is because.....

* Just a few  days  ago I had to type in a few  commands  on  someone  else's
  terminal.  After the first, the message  "you have new mail" popped up.  My
  next  command  (notes)  erased that  message,  so after my last  command, I
  typed...

  # you have new mail

  ...and walked away.

Sure, you can put the terminal in LOCAL, use 'echo', or doubtless  many other
methods to put comments on screen/paper, but "#" is the simplest I know of.

Regards,                                               Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                             3404 East Harmony Road
hplabs!hpfcla!rjn                                      Fort Collins CO  80525