Wanted: Ultra-fast fortran compiler for UNIX

William L. Sebok wls at astrovax.UUCP
Tue Jul 23 00:23:49 AEST 1985

In article <9871 at Glacier.ARPA> conor at Glacier.UUCP (Conor Rafferty) writes:

>Actually there is limited room for improvement.  The 4.2BSD compiler is
>considerably better than the original f77 in that respect.  Published
>work (by Jack Dongarra at Argonne National Laboratory
>[dongarra at anl-mcs]) shows about 25-30% slower runtimes for the 4.2BSD
>compiler over the VMS 4.1 compiler, for dense linear algebra.  I've
>also coded some sparse linear algebra (essentially Yalepack) in
>assembly and found only 30-35% speed up.  Let's give credit where
>credit is due!

Somehow 25%-35% sounds like a fair amount of room for improvement to me.
However that is better than the factor of two that VMS advocates have been
shoving in my face.
--
Bill Sebok			Princeton University, Astrophysics
{allegra,akgua,burl,cbosgd,decvax,ihnp4,noao,princeton,vax135}!astrovax!wls