unix terminal i/o (summary)

Jordan Hayes jordan at ucbvax.ARPA
Wed Jun 26 02:10:12 AEST 1985

In article <455 at mmintl.UUCP> robg at mmintl.UUCP (Robert Goldman) writes:

>where is it documented, and how does one get the documentation?
>	this was the real toughie.  the man page for curses gives the
>following reference:  SEE ALSO
>_Screen_Updating_and_Cursor_Movement_Optimization:_A_Library_Package_, Ken
>Arnold.
>	I had no luck getting hold of this.  I called Bell labs, and they
>didn't have it, I called UCB and they couldn't tell their tushies from their
>elbows, and I finally gave up when I found curses documentation in a
>friend's copy of the XENIX documentation.

The paper he mentions is available from the Academic Computing Services
Library and Document Sales office, 218 Evans Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
(415) 642-5205, or in the manual, or in the USENIX manual set
(Programmer's manual, Supplementary Documents).

>another person (whose message I am embarrassed to admit that I lost),
>suggested that I contact UCB, Corey Hall.  Unfortunately, they were the
>people who didn't know . . .  In fact, UCB didn't seem to know where Corey
>Hall WAS.

Hmmm. First of all, it's Cory Hall. Second of all, I guess you get what
you pay for when you get free advice. Also, the AT&T (SYSV I guess) version
was hacked (I hear by Mark Horton) so you may check into that before
taking the Arnold paper verbatim...

/jordan
-------
ORAL:		"...Hey! Jordan!..."