The Internationalisation of Unix - A European View

Anders Andersson andersa at kuling.UUCP
Tue Jun 18 19:21:35 AEST 1985

In article <330 at erisun.UUCP> leif at erisun.UUCP (Leif Samuelsson) writes:
>In article <211 at pyrltd.UUCP> bejc at pyrltd.UUCP (Brian Clark) writes:
>> /usr/group/UK is proposing to establish an International Working Group to
>> develop current ideas on the integration of European character sets into
>> formal proposals.

>For everyone's info, the following eleven characters are to be
>considered national, and should be avoided in software meant to
>be "international":

Regardless of whether this is the proper way to go about the problem
or not (I don't think it is), shouldn't "`" be among those characters?

The subject line (and the fact that this discussion goes to net.unix,
not net.text) seems a little strange to me. Does the Working Group
focus on character sets in Unix specifically? I consider this a problem
of natural language text representation in general. I would appreciate
if someone could make these things clear.