GPS being dropped from UNIX 5.0 ?

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Tue Jun 4 06:14:04 AEST 1985

> 	I heard that the System 5 graphics package GPS was going to be
> dropped from future releases. Is this true ? Any replacements ?

The System V Interface Definition has flagged both GPS and UNIX plot(4)
as "Level 2" effective 01-Jan-1985.  This means that they may be dropped
from the Definition as early as 01-Jan-1988.  Indications are that AT&T
is looking into a GKS-based replacement.  I rather think it was a bum
move phasing out software BEFORE a replacement was on hand..

> 	I have found GPS extremely useful. Though neither its graphics
> nor statistics are very complete, the ability to arbitrarily piece together
> data transformers and plot the results has been irreplaceable in my daily
> routine.

Yes, the idea is very nice.

> 	I guess I'll just have to learn S.

MUCH slower, by all reports.  But very good for its intended use in
exploratory data analysis.