# comment character

Larry West west at sdcsla.UUCP
Sat Jun 22 05:53:42 AEST 1985

In article <291 at ucdavis.UUCP> ccrrick at ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) writes:
>Can anyone tell me why the # character is a comment in INTERACTIVE
>mode in the shell?  I mean, who goes around making comments that
>will never be seen again while running the shell in interactive
>mode?
>--
>					--rick heli

This is true of "sh", but not "csh".   I don't know what the reason
is, but it is useful when doing "script" (a Berkeley program which
records every character that passes through your tty -- very very
useful for giving example sessions, or proof of bugs).   I wish I
could make "csh" treat '#' as comment-leader.
--

Larry West			Institute for Cognitive Science
(USA+619-)452-6220		UC San Diego (mailcode C-015) [x6220]