Compatibility mode for VAX 4.2 BSD

John Selhorst horst at leadsv.UUCP
Fri May 24 05:30:09 AEST 1985

I have some programs that, I have been told (by the vendor), will run on
4.2BSD on a VAX in PDP-11 compatibility mode. The vendor says that there
is a utility called compat that I need. I need some quick answers and
our guru is on vacation. Here are my questions:

   1) Is it possible to use compatibilty mode on a VAX without severely
      hampering other users? I thought that compatibility mode was system-
      wide (ie. everybody is running in compatibility mode) and that is
      unacceptable.

   2) What is compat and where can I get it and does it run on 4.2BSD?

   3) If I am using compat, what does it look like (maybe a PDP-11 running
      4.2BSD)?

I apologize if these questions seem naive. Any replies, including flames,
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

John Selhorst

 {(ucbvax!dual!sun) (ihnp4!qubix)}!sunncal!leadsv!horst
 {allegra ihnp4 dual}!fortune!amdcad!cae780!leadsv!horst

VAX and PDP-11 are probably trademarks of Digital Equipment Corp.