Setting variables for a running process

Paul S. R. Chisholm psc at lzwi.UUCP
Wed May 29 07:40:09 AEST 1985

< Smokey the Bar says, "Help stamp out software pirates" [squish!] >

> As you've probably gathered by now you can't reset your TERM variable
> in the current process.
>
> However, in vi there IS a way to change your terminal type.
> The way to do it is to go into ex, change it and go back into vi.
> The commands are :
>
> Q			(put's you in ex)
> set term=term_name
> vi			(put's you in vi)

Alas!  In version 3.9 of vi (the first well distributed version to use
terminfo), that confuses the list of mappings *very* badly.  Don't do
it.
--
       -Paul S. R. Chisholm       The above opinions are my own,
       {pegasus,vax135}!lzwi!psc  not necessarily those of any