Unix and user friendy systems (v

billp at ISM780.UUCP billp at ISM780.UUCP
Fri May 31 23:48:00 AEST 1985

/* Written 10:59 pm  May 29, 1985 by abc at brl-sem in ISM780:net.unix */
Perhaps the controversy over whom and/or for what source code
is written merely illuminates the <true> heresy that "C" is
not the ultimate programming language.
/* End of text from ISM780:net.unix */

I don't think that many people will argue that "C" is the ultimate
programming language, and you can ignore the few that do.  I
would hope that only salespeople actually propose that any language
is the ultimate tool.  Software engineers and artisans realize that
any language they chose will have short-comings and problems.  Some
of us feel that "C" is a darnsight better than most other choices.

With regard to the real issue, it is also clear that machines don't
read source code, humans do.  Machines are best feed a raw binary
stream to load in their program store.  Unfortunately, most people
can't program in binary any more.

Bill Putnam
UUCP: ucbvax!ucla-cs!ism780!billp

     (`:   If I wanted your opinion, I'd have beat it out of you     :')