Funny filenames: so far, no good... (2.9BSD)

John Woods john at x.UUCP
Fri May 31 00:51:12 AEST 1985

> I've had a number of responses on how to remove the file whose name is
> 	\t 360 200 035 002 \0
> but no one has won yet.  Most people recommended using unlink(2) like this:
> 	main() {
> 		unlink("\t\360\200\035\002");
> 	}
> but this fails. 	...
> That failed too.  Holy filename, Batman!  What next?
> 	Jeff Percival ...!uwvax!uwmacc!jwp

If that fails, you must have the "`feature'" turned on where 2.9 strips
out "`illegal'" characters in file names.  If so, you have one-and-a-half
(.75)  Go to your kernel sources, remove that feature, bulk-erase your
distribution tape so it will never come back, recompile and reboot.  Then
do the unlink, unmolested by malfeatures.
(1.5)  Open the raw disk for writing with adb.  When I have to patch disks
by hand, I always print up extra copies of section 5 of the manual to
have them arrayed in front of me...

If you don't have sources, you're stuck with the second.  Neither of them
is enjoyable, but at least the first cures it forever.
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc at MIT-XX.ARPA

"MU" said the Sacred Chao...